Button-down shirt skirtJune 3, 2006
As promised, here's the finished skirt, made from two men's button-down shirts.
The pattern is my own design. I'm having an inordinate amount of fun playing around with measurements and calculations and drawing up pattern pieces in Illustrator. I made a muslin of this one before cutting it out – tedious, but so worth it to avoid ruining the fabric! The gores are about an inch and a half longer in back than in front (slanting up at the sides) so the hem hangs perfectly level when it's worn.
Lessons learned: Don't be stingy with the outer seam allowances on French seams. There are occasional little threads poking through the front from the raw edges – but they don't bother me enough to take the seams apart and redo them. Also the skirt is a little big in the waist, but again not really worth my time to take apart now. I'll save that for when/if it gets way too big, or if I find I just can't stand wearing it without fixing that.